Welcome to First Grade
Sarah Gandarias (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Julianne Hallock-DeLuca (email@example.com)
Welcome to First Grade!
Our first graders at Traphagen School are engaged in EnVisions Math, CKLA, McGraw Hill Social Studies, and Harcourt Science.
Expectations in Reading and Literacy
- Ask and answer questions about key details in a fictional and non-fictional text.
- Retell stories, including key details, and demonstrate understanding of their central message or lesson.
- Describe characters, settings, and major events in a story, using key details.
- Identify words and phrases in stories or poems that suggest feelings or appeal to the senses.
- Explain major differences between books that tell stories and books that give information, drawing on a wide reading of a range of text types.
- Identify who is telling the story at various points in a text.
- Use illustrations and details in a story to describe its characters, setting, or events.
- Compare and contrast the adventures and experiences of characters in stories.
- Use "evidence" gathered from the text to support what is said about a text.
- Vocabulary study
Expectations in Writing
- Write an opinion piece in which they name the book they are writing about, state an opinion, and provide some sense of closure.
- Write informative/explanatory texts in which they name a topic, supply some facts about the topic, and provide some sense of closure.
- Write narratives in which they recount two or more appropriately sequenced events, include some details regarding what happened, use temporal words to signal event order, and provide some sense of closure.
Expectations in Math
Operations and Algebraic Thinking
- Represent and solve problems involving addition and subtraction.
- Understand and apply properties of operations and the relationship between addition and subtraction.
- Add and subtract within 20.
- Work with addition and subtraction equations.
Number and Operations in Base Ten
- Extend the counting sequence.
- Understand place value.
- Use place value understanding and properties of operations to add and subtract.
Measurement and Data
- Measure lengths indirectly and by iterating length units.
- Tell and write time.
- Represent and interpret data.
- Reason with shapes and their attributes.
- Spelling and Vocabulary Words will be sent home weekly
- Spelling test will be given on Friday
- Every night children are responsible for writing 3 sentences using a different Spelling or Vocabulary word in each sentence
- Daily Reading Assignment
- Daily Math Assignment
- Weekly Book-in-the-Bag Assignment