Board of Education
2019-2020 Mount Vernon Board of Education
Mount Vernon High School
May 22, 2019- June 30, 2020 (Balance of unexpired term of Stanley Russo)
MV STEAM Academy
Micah J.B. McOwen
Nellie ThorntonPerforming and Visual Arts School (Thornton High School)
Warren Mitchell 2019-2022 Family and Community Engagement
Melissa Muñoz Patterson
Health Safety & Wellness (Chair)
Special Education Advisory Council (Chair)
Facilities (Chair), Education
Rebecca Turner Elementary School
Student Activities (Chair)
Benjamin Turner Middle School
October 1, 2019- June 30, 2020
N/AIn recognition of the importance of building and maintaining relationships with school based staff the President of the Board of Education will appoint individual Trustees to each school in the district.
What is a Board of Education?
The Board of Education is the official policy-making body of the school district, and is comprised of nine members, elected by the public, who serve three-year terms of office without paid compensation.The areas of Board responsibility include:
- Exercising educational leadership and drafting policies for the effective operation of the Mount Vernon City School District.
- Employing the Superintendent of Schools
- Confirming appointments of administrators, teachers and other district staff members
- Setting goals for educational standards
- Adopting a yearly budget and authorizing certain expenditures
The Board of Education works in concert with the Superintendent of Schools and his cabinet to discharge these varied and necessary responsibilities.
- Expressing and representing the views of the community in matters affecting educational programs and needs of the community.