Board of Education
2017-2018 Mount Vernon Board of Education
Adriane G. Saunders
Facilities (Co-Chair), Special Education (Chair), Budget
Facilities (Co-Chair), Education
Strategic Pallning & School Restructuring
Micah J.B. McOwen 2015-2018 Policy (Chair), Family and Community Engagement Stanley Russo
Audit (Chair), Budget (Chair), Clubs
Family and Community Engagement (Chair)
Strategic Planning & School Restructuring (Chair)
What is a Board of Education?
The Board of Education is the official policy-making body of the school district, and is comprised of nine members, elected by the public, who serve three-year terms of office without paid compensation.The areas of Board responsibility include:
- Exercising educational leadership and drafting policies for the effective operation of the Mount Vernon City School District.
- Employing the Superintendent of Schools
- Confirming appointments of administrators, teachers and other district staff members
- Setting goals for educational standards
- Adopting a yearly budget and authorizing certain expenditures
The Board of Education works in concert with the Superintendent of Schools and his cabinet to discharge these varied and necessary responsibilities.
- Expressing and representing the views of the community in matters affecting educational programs and needs of the community.