Parent Bill of Rights
The School District is committed to protecting the privacy and security of each and every student’s data. Parents should be aware of the following rights they have concerning their child’s data:
- A student's personally identifiable information cannot besold or released for any commercial purposes.
- Parents have the right to inspect and review the complete contents of their child's education record.
- The confidentiality of a student’s personally identifiable information is protected by existing state and federal laws, and safeguards such as encryption, firewalls, and password protection, must be in place when data is stored or transferred.
- A complete list of all student data elements collected by the State Education Department is available for public review at: NYSED Data Elements, or by writing to the
Office of Information & Reporting Services
New York StateEducation Department, Room 863 EBA
89 Washington Avenue
Albany, NY 12234
- Parents have the right to file complaints about possible breaches of student data. Parents may submit a complaint regarding a potential breach by the District to Joe McGrath at Jmcgrath@mtvernoncsd.org. Complaints pertaining to the State Education Department or one of its third party vendors should be directed in writing to:
Chief Privacy Officer
New York State Education Department
89 Washington Avenue
Or, email to CPO@mail.nysed.gov. The complaint process is under development and will be established through regulations to be proposed by the State Education Department’s Chief Privacy Officer.
- The State Education Department’s Chief Privacy Officer will develop additional elements for this Parents’Bill of Rights, which will be prescribed in Regulations of the Commissioner and updated by the District accordingly.
- Upon the adoption of regulations and guidance from the State Education Department, as required by Education Law 2-d(3)(d) and 2-d(5)(a-b), if the District enters into a contract with a third party in which student, teacher, or principal data is shared with athird party, supplemental information for each such contract will be appended to this Parents’Bill of Rights.
- Parents may access the State Education Department’s Parents’Bill of Rights at: EDUCATION LAW §2-D BILL OF RIGHTS FOR DATA PRIVACY AND SECURITY (nysed.gov)
Click here for the Parent Bill of Rights