Milestone 4 - Ensure all youth complete post-secondary education or training.
Current trends indicate the United States will have a shortage of workers for jobs that require a college degree or higher.
Given the importance of a college education in today’s labor market, Mount Vernon residents must pursue and complete post-secondary education or job training at higher rates.
- Increase the number of students entering post-secondary school or vocational training
- Reduce the number of students required to take remedial classes in college
- Increase student ability to complete the college application process
- Educate parents on their role in supporting the post-secondary application process
- Enhance workshops on the college application process, beginning in 6th grade
- Present a roadmap for all students on achieving graduation requirements and post-secondary training
- Provide Implicit Bias training for all staff in the MVCSD
- Implement a culturally responsive curriculum
- Provide substance abuse treatment options
- Evaluate data to assess students’ readiness for college and provide support
- Continue monthly Youth Talk Series