Milestone 2 - Ensure all children read at grade level by third grade.
Children who are able to read at or above grade level by 3rd grade are set on a path to greater academic success and positive outcomes.
Mount Vernon faces a challenge wherein, based on the NYS ELA exam grades 3-8, a significant number of students are reading below grade level.
- Increase percentage of students reading at or above grade level by grade three
- Increase the number of students of color proficient in reading and math
- Decrease chronic absenteeism
- Eliminate out-of-school suspension
- Increase recruitment of professional staff of color
- Increase diversity across the district
- Implement a family review process for teacher or service delivery
- Identify and train men of color from community organizations to engage students individually and in group settings to provide guidance and support
- Initiate a culturally relevant curriculum to be implemented in all classrooms
- Implement the Big Reads Program community-wide to encourage the love of reading
- Conduct trauma-informed and culturally responsive workshops to aid teachers and parents in handling at-risk and special needs students
- Evaluate programs that help students realize their potential by building cultural awareness, self- esteem, and racial identity
- Review state and local evaluation of all special education programs
- Increase awareness for parents on the Special Education Regulations
- Increase the ability of students to write creatively