Milestone 1 - Ensure all children enter school cognitively, physically, socially, and emotionally ready.
In the City of Mount Vernon, 50% of children are low income or poor.
Kindergarteners are twice more likely to score proficient in early literacy assessments if they have participated in formal preschool education
- Increase the number of students evaluated as Pre-K ready
- Increase the number of students evaluated for Early Intervention services, if necessary
- Provide increased access and cultural awareness to all parents about available resources that support children’s social and emotional well being
- Increase responsiveness
- Launch Mount Vernon Basics: ages 0-5
- Partner with Westchester Jewish Community Services (WJCS) - Home School Program
- Enhance district’s Parent University with collaboration of community stakeholders by using evidence-based models
- Implement full-day Pre-K available to all students
- Increase prenatal and perinatal services
- Enhance public awareness campaign on community values