Purpose & Outcome of Program
The Mentor Program Committee is a collaboration of the Mount Vernon City School District and the Mount Vernon Federation of Teachers formed for the purpose of developing a mentoring program for interns. An intern is a full-time teacher who is in his/her first or second year of employment in a particular license area or area of certificate title and has not participated in the Mentor Program in the previous year. A teacher that is given a new assignment to a building, grade level or content area may have the option of participating in the Mentor Program.
Commissioner's Regulations require districts to implement a mentoring program for new teachers as a requirement for professional certification. Under the amended regulations, the mentoring program was collectively bargained and is part of the District's Professional Development Plan (PDP).
The Mentor Planning Committee believes that a successful mentoring program is based on mutual respect and trust ensuring a high degree of professionalism. Confidentiality is crucial for implementation.
The Mentor Program is designed to encourage those experienced tenured teachers to share their knowledge, talents, and skill with those in the Mentor Program. Research indicates that mentoring increases the retention of teachers, increases professional competence and improves the intern's ability to assist students to achieve, consistent with the NYS Learning Standards.
The goal of the mentoring program is to develop competent and professional individuals capable of working with all children and bringing them success. This should be encouraged if schools are to become truly supportive learning communities for all learners, students and teachers. The Mentor Program will be annually reviewed and assessed.
The goal of the mentoring program is to develop professional educators who are competent and capable of teaching students to attain academic skills commensurate with their age level and consistent with the NYS Learning Standards.
Objectives of the Mentor Program
• Provide appropriate staff development for mentors and the teachers being mentored
• Provide support for both mentors and new teachers
• Provide information related to curriculum and the NYS Learning Standards
• Provide information related to the "culture" of the Mount Vernon City School District and the assigned school building
• Create an environment conducive to success for both mentors and interns
• Assist interns to resolve instructional and professional issues when encountered
• Provide emotional support, guidance and assistance regarding adjustment to the workplace, district policies, building compliance expectations, and state verification requirements